Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - Book Review


A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


Ugh, what did I just read?

Okay I know this book is popular, and honestly it’s no wonder why when you look at all the similarities between Hush, Hush and Twilight. Young readers, especially young girl readers, are eating up supernatural romances right now, and Hush, Hush capitalizes enormously on that. But I thought it was one of the worst, most offensive books I’ve read in a long time.

I’m going to get right into my biggest issue with Hush Hush; Patch. He’s supposed to be this swoon-worthy, romantic character, but he’s abusive. I will never, ever forget the scene where he forces his way into Nora’s home even though she told him he wasn’t invited, then later in the same scene forces his kisses on her when she tells him to leave. Right there, any hope this novel had of winning me over died. I CANNOT like a YA book that glorifies this kind of behavior, especially when so many young, inexperienced girls are reading it. There are countless other examples I could give of Path’s abusiveness, but honestly I’d rather not relive the fury I felt while reading them by listing them in this review. Though I do want to add that Nora voiced her feelings of discomfort and even fear about Patch to several people, and she pretty much got told to suck it up and deal with it. Even by a school teacher, which had my blood boiling.

I’ll give Becca Fitzpatrick props on her writing, because the actual prose itself wasn’t bad. But even if you put aside the wildly inappropriate lead romantic interest, the plotline is weak at best, and it takes way too long for any questions to be answered. There also wasn’t a single character I liked, though there was one I actually hated even more than Patch; Nora’s best friend, Vee. All I will say on her is that she is easily the stupidest, most vapid character I have ever read in YA. The only way Patch could have redeemed himself in my eyes even a little would have been by killing Vee.

Hush, Hush is a guilty-pleasure read for a lot of people, and I get that. I would never begrudge someone their reading experience just because it didn’t match mine. But Hush, Hush failed for me in just about every aspect, and this is a novel I would definitely discourage parents from letting their young teenage daughters read.


Hush, Hush - 1 out of 5 stars
 

2 comments:

  1. I liked, not loved, Hush, Hush...but couldn't get into the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG finally I see someone who doesn't like Hush, Hush either! Awasome. God I hated that book. Though from a different reason than you do. I didn't pay any attention to Patch, the thing that bothered me was that the characters were annoying, too teen for my liking and too shallow and the plot wasn't that good.

    ReplyDelete

As you may or may not know, life is eating up way too much of my spare time right now, so pretty please don't hate me if it takes me a few days to get back to your wonderful comments. I read each and every one from my phone, and they always make my day. <3